The Rehabilitation Department at the EvergreenHealth MS Center helps patients with multiple sclerosis and other similar disease (i.e. transverse myelitis, neuromyelitis optica) maintain an independent lifestyle with a focus on improving quality of life..
We work closely with the MS Center's neurologists, physiatrist and other staff members to provide these services:
- Assess the ability to perform functional mobility (getting our bed or a chair, walking) in a safe and independent manner.
- If mobility is impacted, we assess the need for an assistive device such as a transfer pole, cane, walker, manual wheelchair, power wheelchair or electric scooter.
- Assess strength and range of motion.
- Assess balance and risk for falls Learn more about Gait and Balance program
- Develop a home exercise program targeting your specific needs.
- Assess challenges with self care tasks such as grooming, dressing and bathing and make recommendations for assistive devices and home modifications.
- Look at activities of daily giving, such as homemaking, cooking, money management, medication management and day planner use, and teach compensatory techniques.
- Screen for deficits in cognition and visual skills that would affect a persons activities of daily living and work on compensatory techniques.
- Assess range of motion, muscle strength, coordination and core strength as well as fatigue challenges.
- Provide a home exercise program to work on improving any areas of concern.
- For fatigue challenges, we instruct in energy conservation, work simplification and building a daily routine to allow the person to get done what needs to be done.
- Perform driving evaluations (this is not an on-the-road driving evaluation).
Speech and Language Pathology
- Assess and treat swallowing issues.
- Assess and treat higher level memory and cognitive changes.
- Assess and treat changes in speech, voice, communication strategies and augmentative (high or low tech) communication systems.
- Provide coping/counseling to MS patients and their caregivers/spouse.
- Perform psychological and cognitive evaluations.
- Provide psychological adjustment due to the chronic and progressive nature of the disease.
- Provide rehabilitation planning.
- Talk with your health care provider about a referral to EvergreenHealth Outpatient Rehabilitation Services
- Call us directly at 425.899.3100
Ask your provider to complete and sign our referral form.